Saturday, December 27, 2014

Ecotourism Wrap-Up

Today we presented our findings to whoever wanted to come on the ship.  People were very interested in our project and asked a lot of questions.  The Oceanites researchers attended and explained how they abide by guidelines of their own even though they have permits to violate many of the guidelines.  The most interesting interview results seemed to be the wide range of IAATO Tourist Guideline priorities and what impacts respondents felt they had on Antarctica.  See our conclusions and recommendations below!




Ideally we could have increased our sample size and been able to talk to more people on the ship.  Given our packed schedules, it was tough to find time.  I also would've liked to obtain more quantitative data for some of the guidelines.  Using observational data made it difficult to apply the sample findings to the large group.  It was really interesting getting to know other passengers and staff through the interviews.  After the presentation, we were approached by a few staff members and they explained that they will bring up a lot of things that were mentioned in their next staff meeting.  I think it was really helpful for them to get this outside feedback as they want to maximize IAATO compliance as much as possible.

The most important part of this project for me was that it got me thinking of ecotourism and its impacts during every excursion and when interacting with others on the ship outside of interviews.  I picked up on a lot more things that the staff said because I was educated on the polar regions.  Saying goodbye to the white continent was really tough.  It is also difficult to say goodbye to the constant incredulous feeling when taking in the landscape.  No longer will I be overwhelmingly excited to see a whale's spout blow 150 meters away and then I whip my head around to another surfacing just off the side of the zodiac.  Traveling to Antarctica has been an incredibly formative experience and it is hard to explain to people that haven't been there.  I am so glad I had the opportunity to do this and hope to never forget what I have seen and learned!


No comments:

Post a Comment