Sunday, December 14, 2014

Leaving the USA!

I am leaving tomorrow at 8 AM on the group flight that will stop in Buenos Aires, Argentina and will end up in Ushuaia, Argentina on the 16th .  I will then begin my study abroad program!

I have chosen to do my field study project on the sustainable development of Antarctic ecotourism.  I will be examining multiple aspects of Antarctic ecotourism including:

  1. Carbon emissions generated from my flights to Ushuaia and the expedition vessel and the subsequent environmental impacts on global and Antarctic climates
  2. Infrastructure and development in Ushuaia necessary for increasing tourism
  3. Potential wildlife disruption by tourists
  4. Potential introduction of invasive species and transfer of pathogens
  5. Potential educational benefits that may encourage tourists to support future Antarctic conservation efforts
I will evaluate these aspects through interviews, field observations, on-board lectures, and discussions with Oceanite staff (Oceanite is a nonprofit organization that focuses on Antarctic conservation from human impact through data collection).

I am excited to meet my professor in person and the rest of the program group tomorrow morning!  Goodbye USA!

No comments:

Post a Comment